President Trump made moves to reign in the abuses of the administrative state with two executive orders that should but the bloated bureaucracy on notice that he means business.
With two strokes of his pen, the leader of the free world put a choke chain on federal agencies that are able to circumvent the legislative process by issuing guidances that give citizens no input and arbitrarily exposes them to fines and onerous regulations.
intended to put an end to the “pernicious kind of regulation imposed by unaccountable bureaucrats,” the executive orders are designed to deliver transparency and most importantly, to give Americans input by requiring agencies to seek public input on the guidances.
According to Trump:
“Many Americans learn of the rule only when agents come knocking on their door.”
“Americans will no longer be subject to hidden rules.”
U.S. President Donald Trump signed two executive orders on Wednesday requiring federal agencies to go through a similar process of public input and explanation when they issue key “guidance documents” and pledged White House scrutiny.
Trump said his orders require agencies to seek public input on “the most important guidance and the whole process will be closely overseen by the White House.”
Trump’s orders say the public can ask agencies to withdraw guidance they believe is wrong. The White House said agencies must give the public “fair notice of any complaint against them and a chance to respond.”
Agencies must offer opinion letters to individuals and businesses who request them in order to help people comply with the law, Trump said, in a “tireless fight to curtail job-killing, soul-crushing regulations.”
Guidance documents can be issued far faster than regulations, which typically take years from start to finish. The White House says because such documents can have a practical effect similar to regulations, they should be subject to the same cost-benefit analysis and public input as formal rules.
EARLIER: President Trump signs executive orders on transparency in federal guidance and enforcement. pic.twitter.com/qUulm2MfuI
— The Hill (@thehill) October 10, 2019
According to the official White House statement:
President Donald J. Trump is protecting Americans by restoring transparency and fairness to the bureaucracy.
- Today, President Trump signed two Executive Orders that will improve the transparency and fairness of government agencies and ensure that they are held accountable.
- The “Improved Agency Guidance Documents” Executive Order requires agencies to put their guidance documents on easily searchable websites so individuals are able to access them.
- To ensure Americans have their voices heard, the Order will also require government agencies to seek public input on the most important guidance they issue.
- Americans will be able to ask agencies to withdraw guidance they believe is wrong.
- The “Transparency and Fairness” Executive Order prohibits agencies from enforcing rules they have not made publicly known in advance.
- The order also instructs agencies to offer opinion letters to individuals and businesses who request them, so people who want to comply with the law can learn how.
COMBATING BUREAUCRATIC ABUSE: The Trump Administration is taking action to end the administrative abuse that hurts American families and small businesses.
- Under the Obama Administration, a lack of transparency and accountability allowed Federal agencies to commit horrible abuses against the American people.
- Agencies abused their power by imposing unlawful and secret interpretations of regulations, as well as by threatening families and businesses with unfair and unexpected penalties.
- In 2014, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) threatened a family with up to $20 million in fines for building an environmentally-friendly pond for livestock without first seeking EPA permission, even though Congress had exempted these ponds from EPA’s reach.
- A 77-year-old United States Navy veteran was imprisoned and ordered to pay $130,000 after the EPA – under the Clean Water Act – declared several small ponds the veteran created to fight wildfires as federally protected navigable waters.
- Going forward, agencies will have to give people fair notice of any complaint against them and a chance to respond.
UNLEASHING AMERICAN ENTERPRISE: These actions build on President Trump’s historic efforts to unleash economic growth and increase prosperity through regulatory reform.
- President Trump has delivered on his promise to cut burdensome and unnecessary regulations that stifle economic growth and hurt small businesses.
- The removal of agency mandates affords small businesses the opportunity to use their profits to invest in job creation and grow instead of wasting them on compliance costs.
- The Administration has cut 14 regulations for every new significant regulation implemented.
- These actions are reversing a long track record of a highly ineffective federal bureaucracy that has harmed American businesses and families to no end.
With the left now having fully embraced an authoritarian socialism that crushes the spirit of individuals and salivating over gaining control over the federal government, Trump’s EO’s come at an opportune time to de-fang the beast.
Once again, those who aren’t blinded by hate and stupidity can see that electing a strong patriot and successful businessman instead of a career politician has paid dividends.