Many movie fans were delighted when it was announced that a sequel to the 1984 box office smash hit “Ghostbusters” would be hitting theaters in 2020 but an angry Leslie Jones wasn’t among them.
The Saturday Night Live personality was one of the stars of the all-female reboot of the classic Bill Murray-Dan Aykroyd-Harold Ramis flick that came out in the summer of 2016 when Hillary was still riding high in the polls but it was panned by reviewers and ended up as being one of the year’s biggest bombs despite the huge amount of hype that it received.
Jones — who played the hulking Patty — is incensed that despite the flop that she starred in, that someone has the gall to do another sequel that won’t be a chick flick and she melted down in spectacular fashion by calling it “something that Trump would do” in one of the silly rants that one has come to expect from celebs who are still pissed that an election didn’t go the way that they wanted.
So insulting. Like fuck us. We dint count. It’s like something trump would do. (Trump voice)”Gonna redo ghostbusteeeeers, better with men, will be huge. Those women ain’t ghostbusteeeeers” ugh so annoying. Such a dick move. And I don’t give fuck I’m saying something!!
— Leslie Jones 🦋 (@Lesdoggg) January 19, 2019
Via The Hollywood Reporter, ‘”Leslie Jones Slams New ‘Ghostbusters’ Film: “It’s Like Something Trump Would Do”‘:
In response to the news that Jason Reitman’s new Ghostbusters project will continue the story that began with Ivan Reitman’s 1984 original and its 1989 sequel — and ignore the female reboot from director Paul Feig in 2016 — Leslie Jones, a castmember from the latter, has voiced her disappointment on social media.
The comedian on Saturday took to Twitter in a post that said, “So insulting. Like fuck us. We dint count. It’s like something trump would do. (Trump voice) ”Gonna redo ghostbusteeeeers, better with men, will be huge. Those women ain’t ghostbusteeeeers” ugh so annoying. Such a d*ck move. And I don’t give fuck I’m saying something!!”
Jones tagged her fellow Ghostbusters co-star Melissa McCarthy, along with Reitman. So far there have been no responses from anyone involved in the new film, which has received backlash since the announcement of its intent. In England, a journalist wrote an “open letter to Jason Reitman,” citing his missed opportunity.
It’s far from the first time that the thin-skinned, easily-triggered actress has gone off either.
Previously, she led the charge to get alt-right gadfly Milo Yiannopoulos banned from Twitter because he said mean things about her; challenged “F**KFACE” HUD Secretary Ben Carson to a fistfight, accused an Atlanta restaurant of racism because of a bad dining experience and railed against “Ghostbusters” critics as — you guessed it — sexists and racists.
Maybe it wasn’t sexism that caused the all-gal “Ghostbusters” to bomb.
While the perpetually persecuted identity-obsessed types would never admit it, maybe the 2016 version was just too strange and too limited in appeal to lure viewers who weren’t liberal feminists which would also account for the all-female remake of “Oceans Eleven” that also under-performed at the box office.
Judging by the performance of the two reboots it would seem that the forces behind the new sequel that more closely aligns it with the 1984 all-inclusive version of the film actually get it that it’s just not good business to alienate half of the potential paying audience by putting out polemics with limited appeal.
Meanwhile, Jones will stew and whine in Twitter tirades to those who actually care and that number isn’t what she likely believes that it is if her movie is any indication.