Less than 24 hours after President Donald Trump announced that the United States will out of the upcoming summit with North Korea, the regime issued a major statement.
According to Axios, North Korean Vice Foreign Minister Kim Gye Gwan released a statement saying the regime is ready to meet “at any time, in any format.”
“Leader Kim Jong Un had focused every effort on his meeting with President Trump,” Gwan said, adding that North Korea is “willing to give the U.S. time and opportunities” to reconsider talks.
The summit was set to take place on June 12 in Singapore, but White House officials say North Korea refused to accept communications with the U.S. numerous times in recent weeks, leading the administration to believe the talks were off.
On Friday morning, the White House said they are “talking to” the regime and that they will see what happens next based on the regime’s behavior.
— Fox News (@FoxNews) May 25, 2018
While the regime is apologizing and begging for the historic summit to take place, Trump made it clear in his statement on Thursday that dictator Kim Jong Un has displayed aggressive behavior in recent weeks, which resulted in the cancellation.
The president said Kim appeared very willing and open to achieving peace on the Korean Peninsula a few weeks ago, but said the dictator is now refusing to honor those initial commitments, saying the U.S. is not going to accept a bad deal.
After a speaking very diplomatically and saying he’s saddened that North Korea won’t respect the idea of peace for the Peninsula and the world, the president reminded Kim that he didn’t appreciate his recent threats about nuclear war.
Earlier this week, Kim boasted about the regime’s nuclear capabilities and said he could match the United States weaponry in a war.
Trump made it very clear in the letter that America has the strongest and most powerful nuclear arsenal in the world, and that threatening the U.S. would have major consequences.
“You talk about your nuclear capabilities but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.”
— Fox News (@FoxNews) May 24, 2018
North Korea has been threatening the U.S. and claiming it will use its nuclear weapons on America since the meeting with China, and Trump is not having it.
Kim appears to be playing games to see if he can get a rise out of Trump, and the president just called his bluff.
It’s unclear what happens next, but North Korea has no leverage with Trump, and they will have to meet many of the president’s demands if they want to even discuss a deal.
Follow Martin on Facebook.